Sustainability: HammondCare’s proactive commitment to the future
‘At HammondCare caring for those in need is ingrained in everything we do, every day. We also care about the impact we have on the environment. This position statement outlines our specific intentions and actions in this area.’
At HammondCare, we are motivated by our Mission in Action. As a Christian organisation, we are committed to good environmental stewardship and are focused on managing our resources wisely and sustainably, minimising our impact on the environment.
In order to be charitable, it is necessary to be businesslike and an environmentally sustainable outlook can help to underpin financial sustainability. While not our primary motivator, significant savings can be made by implementing sustainable initiatives that will better equip HammondCare to meet existing needs and respond to new challenges.
In the past HammondCare has taken a number of conscious steps to reduce our environmental impact, incorporating sustainable design principles into new developments, as well as
HammondCare is taking a strategic, intentional approach, fostering environmental sustainability in all areas of our business. By 2020, we will consciously measure our environmental footprint and will use this data to actively build awareness into everything we do. Our service and enabling portfolios will develop, maintain and report on their environmental impact against organisational targets.
HammondCare’s Environmental Sustainability Strategic Action Plan framework will identify priority initiatives and performance targets in key areas including:
- Reduced energy consumption.
- Water efficiency management: recycle, reuse, reduce.
- Reduced landfill waste.
- Reduced motor vehicle running costs and emissions.
- Reduced administrative related consumables.
- Sustainable design principles in refurbishments and new developments.
- Increased staff training and awareness.
- Improved procurement practises.
- Regular monitoring, reporting and communicating in relation to the above areas.
Identified goals over the next five years include 10% reductions in:
- Energy, gas and water consumption
- Landfill waste
- Motor vehicle running costs and emissions